Thursday, July 27, 2006

Long Time No Blog

It's been a while since I've blogged about something that isn't related to breast cancer, so I thought it was time to catch you up on what's been going on in my life besides cancer. I'll start at the beginning of the year.

Over the holidays, I went to Spain with Ben, Nichole, Jason, Deb and Rachel. Rachel and I were roomies and really bonded over that time. We were already great friends, but there was something about sharing quarters for 3 weeks that made us even closer. It was really great. I kept a journal while I was there so that I could share it with you. One of these days, I'll actually get around to posting it here. That'll probably happen around the same time I get all my Spain photos posted on Flickr.

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know about my screenplay. I co-wrote it with my writing/directing/producing partner, Paul. We actually started this project several years ago. We finished the screenplay and even started to shoot it, but we just felt we weren't getting the quality we could out of it, so we halted production.

We took some time off, but then went back and did some serious editing to the screenplay. The original version was a straight up comedy, but we felt like the depth of characters warranted something more. So, we revisited the script, made it much darker, and decided to film it this summer. We're actually about 75% of the way through filming, and it has been an incredible experience.

We usually shoot 2 days per week: an evening during the week and one day on the weekend. About once a month, we shoot 3 days per week. We auditioned actors in February and began filming in May. Our actors are incredible. We have a great group of talented people, and it has been amazing to see them breath life into the characters that Paul and I created. If you want to know more about the film, visit the film's website at http://www.frogislandfilms.com/fgbs. Right now, the website is mostly a production site. However, keep checking back because we should have a poster in a few weeks and a trailer shortly after.

Paul and I have also been working on getting Frog Island Films (our production company) out there. We've had a little business this year, but now that the film is almost done, we really want to get aggressive with it. Right now, Paul is working full-time on it. We're also kicking off another leg of the business called Frog Island Creative Services. We're partnering up with our friends Mike and Chris to make that happen.

I've been upgrading my furniture at home, as well. I finally broke down and bought a new LCD TV, receiver and speakers. It wouldn't work with my old entertainment center, so I had to replace that (with much better furniture). I bought a new dresser and bedside tables for my bedroom, and tomorrow I'm having a recliner delivered. It's nice to have "grown-up" furniture for a change. It really feels good to be in my house.

So, that's what I've been doing to keep busy. As you can imagine, I've been pretty busy. But then again, it seems that when I'm not in a relationship, I usually have a ton of things going on all at once. I kind of like it that way. The difference is that I've finally learned balance. I do keep busy, but I also take care of myself and get just the right amount of down time too.

Now that we're all caught up, watch for new posts regularly. I may not be here daily, but you know me... I usually have something to say.

No comments: