There are big changes for you, but you will happy.I enjoy reading the messages in fortune cookies as much as the next person, but, generally, I don’t believe that there’s any meaning behind them. Occasionally, however, I do find a fortune cookie message that I speaks to me, and I put that message on my fridge. Sometimes, the message just feels like God taking an opportunity to say something to me. This message was the most recent one, and, seeing it on my fridge, I am compelled to take a moment to step back and examine it... three months later.
First, some background. I received this fortune cookie in church after serving at the homeless Thanksgiving dinner hosted at my church. I had stayed after to help clean up and walked to the back to make sure there was nothing left for me to do. I happened in on a group of people who were eating fortune cookies. Handing me one, they told me I was in on the secret.
I might have been in on the secret of the fortune cookies, but I still had a bigger secret yet to learn. And that was how fulfilling and amazing it would be to be part of that ministry. That was just one of the big changes that was coming my way.
The week after Thanksgiving, I began making arrangements to get a roommate. She and I had met and agreed to explore the idea before Thanksgiving, but we didn't really start seriously discussing it until afterward. The week before I met her, three people had suggested I consider a roommate; I wanted nothing to do with the idea. I met her literally moments after deciding that if God wanted me to have a roommate, He would bring me the opportunity. She is moving in next week, and I am thrilled!
In the weeks that followed Thanksgiving, my relationship came to an end. But, as difficult as it was to face that, I found my peace in it. We’re exploring friendship now, but I finally reached a place where I’m okay with moving on. And, though I’m not ready for another relationship now (I need for my heart to fully heal before I consider giving it to someone else), God has shown me that He wants me to be in a happy, healthy, secure relationship. So, I know He will provide the right person at the right time. I am trusting in that.
After Thanksgiving, I began serving regularly with the homeless ministry. Not only have I found that service extremely fulfilling in a way I could never have anticipated, I've also made some really good, strong friendships there. And those friendships have made me feel even more connected at church. This in turn has strengthened my ties to my church and my church community. And, I feel closer to God. I've never been as involved at a church as I am at the Vineyard. I love my church and look forward to every opportunity that I get to spend in that community of people.
I attended a sermon at a friend’s church a few weeks ago where the speaker (a guest speaker, a former staff pastor) challenged the congregation to “live an extraordinary life,” on God’s terms. He explained that what he meant by that was that God could give us a life that surpassed our wildest imagination, if we would only let Him. He told us that to do so meant that we had to put our lives in God’s hands and go where God wants to take us. He taught us a prayer to help us ask God for that. I've been praying that prayer, and I have seen some powerful changes in my life.
My life is definitely changing in ways I could not have foreseen nor could I have orchestrated on my own... and I am happy. I feel like I’m getting a glimpse of what the speaker meant by an extraordinary life. It might not be about the grandiosity of your contribution to the world at large. Maybe it’s about how even the smallest contribution can affect someone’s life. But, mostly, I think it’s about serving God. About figuring out what He wants for us and doing it. And finding peace, freedom, love and joy in serving His will.
Anyone who has known me for any length of time (outside of my family) might be surprised to find me in this place. But, this is where I came from. I came from God. He made me. And throughout my life, I have come back to this place time and time again. Not always with such conviction, but I always come back. After my mother’s death, I left for a long time. I explored a lot of alternative religions, philosophies, and practices. But, the only place I have ever felt completely at peace is in God’s presence.
Last year, He brought me home. And, to make sure I stayed, He immediately provided me with opportunities to serve at my church using my video and design skills. He continued to provide me with opportunities to learn and serve. I felt like last year God was telling me that it wasn't enough for me to sit on the sidelines anymore.
I haven’t quite figured out what God is working on with me this year yet. I may not figure it out until 2010. All I know is that I want more of what He’s got. In spite of the chaos I sometimes feel in my life, I’m happier today than I can remember being in a really long time... probably since the last time I was feeling spiritually connected to God, which would be really close to 15 years.
I know that I won’t forsake this connection with God again. I've walked away from it in the past, and felt like my life was pretty complete without it. But, there has always been that little piece of me that was always searching for something more. I have found it, and I’m not letting go of it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment