Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Moment is Now

One of my biggest personal challenges has always been staying in the moment. I used to spend a lot of time rehashing the past, though I have managed to let go of that for the most part in recent years. However, I still have a tendency to worry over the future unnecessarily.

I say unnecessarily because there are definitely some things to which you should give careful thought and consideration before diving in head first. However, there's a difference between considering your actions and worrying about the "what ifs" that may never happen.

I'm definitely in a place where I have some things in the future coming that I'm pretty excited about, so I tend to spend a little more time there than is probably healthy for me. So, starting now, I'm going to start trying to take things in smaller, bite-size chunks.

I don't need to worry how or when something is going to happen unless it's happening today. If it's not happening today, I can let God worry about it. Today, I'm just going to enjoy where I am right now. I'm going to deal with the challenges that I'm presented with today, and leave the rest up to God.

Because, where I am today is pretty wonderful. And I don't want to miss it. I've got my own business that is growing and thriving. I'm in a new and exciting relationship with a wonderful, caring man. I have amazing friends who support, encourage and love me. I have re-connected with my entire family. I'm healthy, and I like who I am and where I am. And, above all, I've put my faith back in God, and feel truly connected to him in a way that I have not experienced in years, if ever.

And when I look outside at the moment, the sun is shining, the sky is blue, and spring is on its way. There's still snow on the ground, and we will probably get more yet. But at this very moment, I'm looking outside at a beautiful late winter day.

For the first time in a long time, I'm completely happy. And not just because of the recent changes in my life, although they do contribute greatly to my happiness. But, my real happiness is coming from just being able to appreciate where I am, instead of focusing on where I want to be. And when I do that, I suddenly realize that I am exactly where I want to be!

No comments: